Sony KDL-52S4100 - no picture or sound

No power, no video, no sound, inverted picture, cracked screen

Sony KDL-52S4100 - no picture or sound

Postby wmarotz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:30 pm

My Sony KDL-52S4100 has no picture or sound. The green power light comes on with a click when I hit the power button on the TV or remote. I unplugged the TV for 20 minutes and tried again with the same result. I also tried a reset to no avail. I removed the cover from the back of the TV exposing the power supply board. All the output voltages indicated on the edges of the power supply were measured and noted to be very close to the value shown. (i.e. - 12 volt outputs measured 11.5 volts, 3.3 volt outputs measured 3.4 volts, etc.) The screen remains dark and the speakers silent no matter what I do. I downloaded a copy of the service manual. There is a note specifying that a tech should show up with both the A (main) board and G (power supply) board when responding to a service call given these symptoms. I can't find anyone with the main board in stock. What further checks can I make to narrow down the problem?
wmarotz

Re: Sony KDL-52S4100 - no picture or sound

Postby Maxwell » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:15 pm

From the information given, I would believe your problem lies within the Main Board (Signal Input), the power light comes on and the voltages look good.. the power supply should be okay. Unfortunately we had some Main boards in stock at one time but they all sold. (Could be a common problem?). To narrow down the problem even more.. it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the TV's T-CON Board (Controller Board) another common issue for no sound or picture.
Maxwell

Return to Problems with LCD TV's